Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Handmade Journal Cover


Hello!!!  I made this journal cover for our daughter-in-law for Christmas.  She had put a leather journal on one of her Pinterest boards as something she'd love to have and it was a wonderful, handmade journal and quite expensive.  It had gun shells/bullets/casings - whatever they are called- on it and lots of wonderful details.  This is certainly not close to that but it was made with love.   The material is Kraft-Tex and it was the first time I had used it.  It wonderful stuff!!!!   After cutting a piece the size I wanted, I dampened it and then crumpled it over and over.  After lots of wrinkles were made I inked over them with Distress Ink, lightly misted on a bit more water and then left it to dry.  Looks fab, huh!!  The two strips across the pens and casings are also Kraft-Tex without the wrinkling.  The top one is edges a bit with ink and the bottom one is not.  I used glue and folded all the edges in.  After that I used eyelets to make the flaps that hold both covers of a purchased mixed media paper journal and for attaching the strips to the front.  I didn't want to glue the shells so went outside and found a stick to sew below them so they wouldn't push out when putting the Micron pens in and out.  The pens are all black and each has a different size tip.  God gifted her with a talent for drawing and she really likes the Micron pens.  




6 comments:

Debby said...

This is amazing! Had a fun day journaling with Krista!

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

Amazing!! I would love to make something like this for me!!!!

Michelle Morlan said...

This looks totally cool, Wanda! Will have to have her show it to me. Great job :)

C. M. Taylor said...

What a wonderful gift and so personal. Stunning job on the design and great use of Kraft-tex.

Quietfire said...

Sweet! Great job!

Krista Hentges said...

Love this so much!! Got to see it when they came out in January. You did an amazing job!! Little late on the blogging though lol 😜