Sunday, June 17, 2012

Making Art Challenge 43 and 44

New challenges on the Everything Wendy Vecchi Yahoo Group are issued on Wednesdays and run usually either 1 or 2 weeks.  

We are up to Challenge 44 as of this last Wednesday but first I'm sharing my tag from Challenge 43... I managed to get it done just in time on Tuesday night but haven't had time to blog it yet.  The challenge was to use 2 hearts and 3 circles in our project (and as always we need to use at least one Studio 490 stamp - all the stamps I used are Studio 490) and Lori took the inspiration for the challenge from Wendy's Book 3, page 28.  I made a very quick tag.  I started with a 'I have lots of color left on my craft sheet that I don't want to waste' tag from my pile of these tags.  I stamped the 2 hearts on white cardstock and cut them out.  Stamped the saying onto the tag with Snow Cap paint dabber and added the 3 dabber circles under it.. decided I didn't really like the saying in white and thought I'd attempt to stamp it again with Archival Ink jet black... so holding my breath, hoping it would line up well, I stamped it, and it worked... yay!!!  Stamped the hand with jet black, cut around the fingers, added the heart.  Stamped the weed image with snow cap.  Attached the other heart.  The came the hole... I didn't want to just leave and I kept laying on things to tie through it but nothing said yet... then I noticed a scrap piece of Ideaology composer tissue paper and thought "hmmmm"... yep, I like that... glued it on and trimmed it.  


Now onto Challenge 44 which is to use Wendy stamps and products but use bright colors!!!  Now I'm not completely sure I totally like what I've made and as it sits around I might do a little more to it... but it's done for now.... I like all the individual pieces, just not sure I'm thrilled with them together.  The circle base, flourishes and flowers are all Studio 490 Art Parts.  I covered the circle with a piece of paper I had after working on a card yesterday.  It uses Dylusions sprays for the background and this piece that I used is the extra piece I got while working... on the card (which I'll share sometime this week) I layed on the flower stencil and sprayed and then on this piece of paper I pressed the stencil that had spray all over it.  The paper I used is Ranger's Specialty paper.  I glued it onto the circle with Ranger's Glue 'n Seal matte, let it dry, cut around the circle, sanded the edges to be sure they were smooth, and then painted the edge of the art part with Pearl Paint Dabber also getting a small line of pearl on the front.  Next I stamped the splatter stamp (all stamps are Studio 490) using Archival deep purple.  Then moved onto working with the flourishes and flowers... I painted them all with Pearl Paint Dabber, both sides, just dabbing it on rather than wiping leaving fantastic texture.  Next I used alcohol ink on the pieces.. the shimmer from the pearl paint shows through the alcohol inks.  I inked both sides.  Then I stamped the flourishes with the screen image using Archival emerald and the flowers with the large alphabet background stamp using Archival manganese blue.  Lightly brushed white paint dabber on the edges of the petals.  The went to work on placement... I knew what words I wanted to stamp and first stamped them right on the circle but they just didn't show up as much as I wanted so I took a scrap of the original paper that didn't have the flowers on it and stamped the words with jet black, tore it out and glued it on.  Stamped a small week image around the edges of the circle with pearl paint dabber... glued on the flourishes and flowers... decided to stamped some weeds with color, Archival magenta hue.  The white centers on the flowers are part of a berry bead... when we (mostly my hubby) use to make beaded animals, berry beads were used for several things but we made these owl magnets that only used part of the bead and I've kept the left overs for years... the piece has a whole in the center that I didn't want so I used liquid pearls to fill it in which went very well with the bead.  Added white dots on the saying and white stitching around the circle with a pen.





5 comments:

Marjie Kemper said...

Beautiful projects, Wanda! You sure rocked the bright colors challenge. I love how you have the deep blue alpha stamp poking through on the purple flowers, and the torn white edge really helps the sentiment pop.

SusanK said...

Both are very, very nice! The colors really pop on the #44 challenge.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

The color here is exceptional...love how you can see so many colors up close!!! Love the pearly accents as well...just beautiful work!

Lori said...

Wonderful pieces Wanda! I love how people are stepping out with the bright colors, although it goes against the grain! LOL! Thanks for joining the MAC!

tea said...

Wonderful! I especially love the effect from overstamping the white with black, took me a while to figure out what you had done there:-) - until I read your explanation. And what a cool saying too!
I can't believe how much attention you give to every little detail!